1 most powerful or important or influential; "the economically ascendant class"; "D-day is considered the dominating event of the war in Europe" [syn: ascendant, ascendent]
2 used of a height or viewpoint; "a commanding view of the ocean"; "looked up at the castle dominating the countryside"; "the balcony overlooking the ballroom" [syn: commanding, overlooking]
3 offensively self-assured or given to exercising usually unwarranted power; "an autocratic person"; "autocratic behavior"; "a bossy way of ordering others around"; "a rather aggressive and dominating character"; "managed the employees in an aloof magisterial way"; "a swaggering peremptory manner" [syn: autocratic, bossy, high-and-mighty, magisterial, peremptory]
- present participle of dominate
Domination is the condition of having control or power over people, animals, or things.
The terms Domination or dominant may refer to:
- Dominant (music), in music theory
- Domination (rapper) (b. 1982), an American rapper from Queens, New York
- Domination (album), 1995 album by U.S. death metal band Morbid Angel
- "Domination", a song on Pantera's 1990 album, Cowboys From Hell
- "Domination", a song on Symphony X's 2007 album, Paradise Lost
- Dominating decision rule, in decision theory
- Domination (chess) occurs where a chess piece with wide movement cannot avoid capture.
- Domination (computer game) is a turn-based computer game.
- Domination (poker), way of rating a poker hand
- Domination, also known as Focus (board game), a 1964 game designed by Sid Sackson
- Domination, a multiplayer game mode featured in the popular 2007 video game Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, among others.
- The Domination, a series of dystopian novels by S. M. Stirling
dominating in Danish: Dominans
dominating in German: Dominanz
dominating in French: Dominant
dominating in Hebrew: דומיננטי
dominating in Dutch: Dominant
dominating in Norwegian: Dominant
dominating in Low German: Dominanz
dominating in Russian: Доминанта
dominating in Slovak: Dominant
dominating in Ukrainian: Домінанта